The Town Trust was first regulated by a scheme of the Charity Commissioners for the Ancient Parish of Chipping Sodbury in 1899, varied in 1910, 1922 and 1950 to the current scheme for the general benefit of the inhabitants. The trust is managed by a body of thirteen trustees who meet bi-monthly to administer the charity.
The Trust has responsibility for the playing fields and sports grounds situated at The Ridings in Chipping Sodbury and lets the 200 acres owned for cricket, football, golf, rugby, tennis and running clubs, also accommodating the local scout headquarters and a children’s play area maintained by Sodbury Town Council.
The Ridings were given to the inhabitants of the town by a charter dated round the year 1200 by two Lords of the Manor during the reigns of King Henry the Second and King John.
The Trust is responsible for the town chest, mace and seal and also maintain the town clock and ancient fire engine (which can be seen below), circa 1800, first mentioned in parish records on an invoice dated 1827.